Active Directory Upgrades/migration
11 Incomplete applications
10 SME, 1 large
12 Completed applications
11 SME, 1 large
- Tuesday 11 June 2019
- Deadline for asking questions
- Tuesday 18 June 2019 at 11:59pm GMT
- Closing date for applications
- Tuesday 25 June 2019 at 11:59pm GMT
- Specialist role
- Technical Architect
- Summary of the work
- Trafford Council currently has a Domain that has a legacy NETBIOS name of TRAFFORD.CO.UK. This is preventing the Council from delivering some of their key ICT strategies as NETBIOS names with periods (.) in are not supported by Microsoft.
- Latest start date
- Monday 8 July 2019
- Expected contract length
- Approximately 20 Days (Fixed Term)
- North West England
- Organisation the work is for
- Trafford Council
- Maximum day rate
About the work
- Early market engagement
- Who the specialist will work with
- The Specialists will be working primarily with the Councils System Support Team which consists of six FTE's. The in house teams have a wealth of AD experience but are currently too stretched to get the initial design / implementation underway. The Council will also provide resources from its Infrastructure Development & Networks \ Security teams as and when required.
- What the specialist will work on
1. Audit - Perform audit of existing AD Infrastructure
2. Design - Create design for new AD structure
3. Pre-requisites - Work with internal teams to Implement any prerequisites required for new AD infrastructure / Domain.
4. Implementation - Implement new Domain and configure replication / synchronisation between new and legacy Domains
5. Migrate - Migrate a selection of test objects (TBD)
6. Test - Fully test functionality including connection to Azure AD / AD connect
7. Document - Provide documentation detailing design of new domain and instructions to assist with migration / decommissioning process.
- Address where the work will take place
The Supplier will work on site at the following address.
Trafford Town Hall
Talbot Rd, Stretford, Manchester M32 0TH.
- Working arrangements
- We would expect that the suppliers will be onsite for at least 20 - 25 working days (any planning and design may be able to be done off site). The ICT internal team is small and is currently too busy to get this piece of work off the ground. It’s envisaged that the supplier will assist the internal teams with the initial planning & design and creation of the new domain. It is also envisaged that the supplier will define a pilot group of objects and assist internal staff with the initial migration of these objects (TBD).
- Security clearance
- Additional terms and conditions
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate suppliers’ technical competence.
- Essential skills and experience
- Have proven experience leading assessments, design, implementation, and consolidation projects for Active Directory.
- Have proven Technical expertise in Windows Server Active Directory; and AD Consolidations & Migrations including Group Policy Migration & Optimization.
- Have proven collaborative approach to developing designs, security models, best practices, and governance structures across distributed IT environments.
- Have experience of implementing Office365 hybrid setup with ADConnect
- Have proven experience of implementing & working with Office365 and Azure AD.
- Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Demonstrate expertise in EUC and infrastructure (Knowledge of Windows 7/10, SCCM Current Branch)
- Manage directory sync into Azure AD
- Show knowledge of Office 365 Teams
- Implement and manage Microsoft Azure AD, ADFS, Single Sign On (SSO) and Azure AD Connect for the deployment of office 365 solutions
How suppliers will be evaluated
- How many specialists to evaluate
- Cultural fit criteria
- Work as a team with the existing ICT dept and other suppliers
- Be transparent and collaborative when making decisions
- Take responsibility for their work
- Suppliers should detail their approach to ensuring that there will be no disruption to Council Users or Key ICT services during the process
- Assessment methods
- Work history
- Evaluation weighting
Questions asked by suppliers
- 1. Is Trafford council ok if we spread these 20 consultancy days across multiple weeks, such as consultancy of two days per week until 20 to 25 days are covered?
- Yes this could be discussed however time is of the essence on this piece of work so we would prefer to get this done as early as possible.
- 2. Do they need the person onsite or can they work remotely after initial consultation and requirements captured?
- We would prefer if the resource worked on site.
- 3. What is the max day rate involved for such as short engagement?
- No max day rate has been determined, suppliers must offer their most competitive day rate in their responses.
- 4. Please explain more on “any planning and design may be able to be done off site” user the working arrangements section.
- There may be some scope for suppliers to work on any documentation / design work that may not require input from Trafford Staff remotely. Access to our systems can be granted from remote offices via our VPN solution. It is preferred though that the suppliers be on site for the vast majority of the engagement.
- 5. Can you please confirm the current domain and forest functional level of the existing Active Directory?
Functional Levers are:-
Domain: Windows Server 2012
Forest: Windows Server 2012
- 6. Can you please confirm the operating system version for Windows Server where AD is currently installed?
- Windows Server 2012.
- 7. Is there an incumbent supplier working with Trafford Council?
- There is currently no supplier working with Trafford Council on this project.
- 8. The opportunity mentions 20-25 days, but is there an anticipated budget for this project?
- Yes a budget has been agreed. The 20-25 days is a guidline and if suppliers feel that they can possibly deliver their proposal in a shorter timescale then this should be included in their responses.
- 9. Can you please confirm that the scope of engagement is limited to performing the test migration and does not cover full migration of Active Directory?
- The engagement is limited to the planning \ design and initial implementation and migration of a set of objects (TBD). The idea is that the supplier will help existing staff get the migration started allowing internal staff to progress the migration once the engagement has ended. The new and existing Domain must run in parallel with synchronisation taking place between the two to allow for a phased migration from the old to the new.
- 10. Can the Authority confirm if this will be consecutive work, or on an ad-hoc basis?
- Its likely that this will be on a “call off” ad-hoc basis.
- 11. What is the IR35 status?
- This project sits outside of IR35. The required work is a one-off consultancy project.
- 12. Please can you confirm if the role is inside/outside IR35?
- We deem that this piece of work sits outside of IR35.
- 13. Can you please advise the day rate for this position
- No day rate has been determined, suppliers must offer their most competitive day rate in their responses.
- 14. Is the Council currently operating Office 365 connectivity in Hybrid mode, and which cloud services are in use? If so, which version of ADC is installed and is the council using Password Hash replication, Passthrough federation or ADSF federation?
- The Council is not currently operating office 365, they are planning on implementing office 365 in the future.
- 15. The specification mentions “migration of a set of objects (TBD)”. Please can the council tell us if this likely to go beyond standard user, group and workstation objects? If so, please can we have an indication of what objects/services/servers are in scope?
- Yes it will go beyond the standard user, group and workstation objects. The Council would expect any suppliers to identify what objects need to be migrated in order to fully test the new solution. Shared folders, GPO’s Printers and OU’s, servers and Services are likely to be included in the initial phase.
- 16. We have several consultants experienced in all areas of this requirement, but some will have greater depth in some areas (such as ADFS or SCCM). Please can the council confirm that they are happy for time against more than one consultant?
- We are happy for suppliers to use as many consultants as they feel necessary as long as this is stated up front in the response.
- 17. Will the council project manage the work, to the extent that the production of a provisional project plan is not a required deliverable?
- Suppliers will be expected to provide a high level project plan / scope so that internal resources can be identified where required.
- 18. Does Trafford council already have an O365 tenancy in place?
- 19. Are Trafford Council already syncing current domain to Azure?
- 20. If Trafford Council are synchronizing their existing domains to Office 365, have they modified the AAD Connect application to filter or modify users during synchronization?
- The Council are planning for Office 365, they are not using Office 365. Therefore the Council are not yet synchronizing their existing domains to Office 365.
- 21. What current collaboration tools are Trafford Council using at present?
- LYNC 2010, however this is earmarked for being decommissioned. Plus this is used internally only, no federation or edge servers are in place.
- 22. What service in O365 are currently being utilised?
- 23. What timescales are Trafford Council working to in order to complete the project?
- 24. What kind of Exchange set up are Trafford Council currently using?
- On premise Exchange 2010.
- 25. What version of Office are Trafford Council using?
- The Council are using Office Professional 2010 on Win 7 Clients, Office Professional 2013 is used on Windows 8 / 10 clients.
- 26. How is SharePoint set up if used?
- Sharepoint is not Implemented at the Council