Border Force - Senior Data Practioner/Analyst
17 Incomplete applications
14 SME, 3 large
10 Completed applications
9 SME, 1 large
- Wednesday 14 November 2018
- Deadline for asking questions
- Friday 16 November 2018 at 11:59pm GMT
- Closing date for applications
- Wednesday 21 November 2018 at 11:59pm GMT
- Specialist role
- Technical Architect
- Summary of the work
- This specialist will be an experienced Senior Data Practitioner with a variety of Data Analysis/Governance backgrounds both in private and public sector intelligence environments. They must be able to be not only able to plan, lead and document Data Governance but be able to interface across a public sector organisation.
- Latest start date
- Monday 17 December 2018
- Expected contract length
- 13 months
- Organisation the work is for
- Home Office - Border Force
- Maximum day rate
About the work
- Early market engagement
- Who the specialist will work with
- Day to day the specialist will work with the Borders Architecture Team and the Data Strategy Team reviewing inflight and new projects for data governance. Support to the CIO and the Data Engagement Group will also be required. Further, assisting the Intelligence function with improving Borders data in collaboration with them.
- What the specialist will work on
- Borders Force require a Senior Data Practitioner/Analyst to help deliver a Data Governance Programme in support of a Border Force Data Strategy to produce a mature and operational Data Governance Function. A wide set of skills from Architecture, understanding of the latest Data Analysis Techniques and Strategic thinking are required. Additionaly provide architecture governance to the architecture team across Border Force and act as a mentor to the Data Engagement Group.
- Address where the work will take place
- The Supplier will be predominantly based at Home Office premises at Apollo House, Croydon, CR9 2BY, but may be required to attend Marsham Street, London, SW1; and MetroPoint , Croydon; Surrey; or other locations as necessary.
- Working arrangements
Resources are expected to work as part of existing delivery teams focussed on specific outcomes. When on-site delivery partner resources will conform to prevailing Home Office rules & procedures.
The team may be able to accommodate a part-time working arrangement to secure the right skills.
Expenses will conform to Home Office internal policies and will not be payable within the M25.
- Security clearance
SC clearance is required.
For the avoidance of doubt this means either:
a) SC clearance has been approved or renewed by any government department within six months prior to the start date
b) SC clearance has been used within any government department within 12 months prior to the start date
- Additional terms and conditions
- These roles are deemed to be outside the scope of IR35 of the Intermediaries legislation. Candidates may be working towards obtaining SC clearance and must possess this by the latest start date. The HO may support the candidate with this process, but this must be in place by employment commencement. Candidates with DV Clearance have already undergone SC level checks will also be considered.
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate suppliers’ technical competence.
- Essential skills and experience
- At least 10 years experience of Data Design/Governance and Architecture. (10%)
- At least 10 years expereince in Data Analysis design in the area of National Intelligence (10%)
- Light-touch leadership that employs a highly collaborative approach to guide people without controlling them but employing authority when the situation requires. (5%)
- Facilitating inclusive decision-making and conflict resolution. (5%)
- An Honours Degree in Mathematics/Computer Science/Statistics. (5%)
- Experience of introducing ad adopting Data Modelling and Data Governance tools - expected to be Erwin and Collibra (5%)
- Guiding and mentoring skills to be applied at all levels of leadership. (2%)
- Remove impediments that are preventing the team from delivery (2%)
- Growing and facilitating an emerging workforce to deliver data governance across Border Force. (2%)
- Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Experience of working with and applying Data Design with Technical Delivery Teams (10%)
- A highly developed understanding of government organisations, and how to operate and communicate at the varying levels of management (2%)
- Will have a background in Technology with proven success in a complex programmes (2%)
How suppliers will be evaluated
- How many specialists to evaluate
- Cultural fit criteria
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritise a very varied work schedule
- Understanding of working across a broad geographical area and different functional departments with competing priorities
- Work closely with colleagues and be transparent and collaborative in all communications
- Be respectful and work with integrity and flexibility.
- Able to build strong relationships and confidence of senior business stakeholders
- Assessment methods
- Work history
- Evaluation weighting
Questions asked by suppliers
- 1. 1) Is there a current incumbent and if so will they be reapplying?
- No, this is a new role.
- 2. 2) What is the estimated budget?
- Target day rate is £800 or less.
- 3. 3) What is the timescale regarding feedback, interviews etc.?
w/c 26 Nov to conduct the initial shortlisting
w/c 03 Dec to interview
w/c 10 Dec to notify successful applicants
- 4. 5) By looking at the application closing date 21 November 2018 and contract start date 17 December 2018, would you be willing to consider any SC eligible candidates or they must have SC already. Also is there a current incumbent and if so will they be reapplying?
- It is preferred if candidates are SC cleared however, the Home Office will sponsor any successful candidates requiring SC clearance.
- 5. 6) Would you consider a candidate with a degree in a different subject to Mathematics, Computer Science or Statistics if they meet the rest of the requirements including 10 years of experience?
- The role needs a strong mathematics background and we are looking for candidates with an academic background in one of these subjects