HR Service Desk Discovery
5 Incomplete applications
3 SME, 2 large
11 Completed applications
9 SME, 2 large
- Wednesday 26 September 2018
- Deadline for asking questions
- Wednesday 3 October 2018 at 11:59pm GMT
- Closing date for applications
- Wednesday 10 October 2018 at 11:59pm GMT
- Summary of the work
- A discovery phase to understand the ways in which the HR Service Desk can be redesigned to make better use of technology and support people to manage their own HR issues. Findings will be validated through data, user research and inform a business case to justify onward investment.
- Latest start date
- Thursday 1 November 2018
- Expected contract length
- 3 months
- South East England
- Organisation the work is for
- Buckinghamshire County Council
- Budget range
- £35,000 to £40,000
About the work
- Why the work is being done
It can be difficult for our users (staff and schools) to find the HR information and advice they need. A lot of people try self service, but end up calling the service desk with relatively simple requests.
We know that we are not making the best use of modern technology. We want to move from manually handling routine HR requests to a self service model supported, where appropriate, by automated HR processes.
- Problem to be solved
We are not providing our users with the ideal experience for managing HR issues. This is also an expensive way for the council to deal with relatively simple enquiries.
We need to significantly reduce the cost of operating an HR service and can only do this if we can find ways to support more self service and the automation of routine processes.
Through this discovery project we want to develop an understanding of how to better meet user needs and reduce costs. This will include setting out a clear vision for a future service and a roadmap for change.
- Who the users are and what they need to do
The users of the service are: employees of Buckinghamshire County Council, employees of schools, academies and other third party organisations who buy HR Services from the Council.
These users need to quickly and confidently resolve any HR issues. This might be achieved through access to information and advice, tailored guidance on appropriate next steps or intensive support from an HR professional.
- Early market engagement
- Any work that’s already been done
- Existing team
- Colleagues from the Council's HR, digital, technology and corporate services.
- Current phase
- Address where the work will take place
- County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UA
- Working arrangements
- We will require a team onsite for 2-3 days a week, most weeks. This is so that you can work closely with BCC staff and have easy access to the service users.
- Security clearance
- Additional terms and conditions
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate suppliers’ technical competence.
- Essential skills and experience
- Take a user centred and agile approach to project delivery
- Provide a multi disciplinary team including user research, service design, business analysis and product development.
- Develop a compelling business case for service and technology change based on discovery findings
- Have experience of delivering digital transformation in local government
- Have experience of working to the GDS / Local Government Digital service manual and standards
- Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Knowledge of the user needs of HR service users
- Understanding of HR service desk technology
How suppliers will be evaluated
- How many suppliers to evaluate
- Proposal criteria
- Clarity of the approach
- How the approach or solution meets our objective
- Estimated timeframes for the work
- Team structure, including skills, experience and relevance of individuals
- Experience of delivering discovery projects that support a business case for change
- Cultural fit criteria
- Work as a team with our organisation, partners and other suppliers
- Be transparent and collaborative
- Take responsibility for the quality of delivery
- Share knowledge and experience with the team
- Challenge the status quo
- Be comfortable standing up for the design and agile delivery disciplines
- Payment approach
- Capped time and materials
- Assessment methods
- Written proposal
- Evaluation weighting
Questions asked by suppliers
- 1. Will expenses be payable outside of the budgeted £35-£40K?
- No, expenses will need to be met within the budget.