Monday 16 May 2022
Deadline for asking questions
Monday 23 May 2022 at 11:59pm GMT
Closing date for applications
Monday 30 May 2022 at 11:59pm GMT
Off-payroll (IR35) determination
Contracted out service: the off-payroll rules do not apply
Summary of the work
Redevelopment of the Trust's intranet: discovery, design, build, implementation and hosting, year one. Year two: hosting, maintenance and support.
The solution must use Wagtail CMS, be easy to use and edit, have advanced search facility and be accessible by all staff, at all sites, and remotely via secure mobile access.
Latest start date
Friday 1 July 2022
Expected contract length
No specific location, for example they can work remotely
Organisation the work is for
Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Up to £150k (including VAT) for discovery, design, build, implementation and hosting in year one.
About the work
Why the work is being done
Our vision is to deliver a best-in-class intranet that acts as the hub of information for staff – accessed at any time, from any device, anywhere in the world.
The CUH intranet is used by teams and departments for sharing information internally. The intranet requires a full redesign to make it more dynamic and bring it up to date with a modern look, greater accessibility, ease of maintenance and navigation.
The current intranet uses unsupported software, contains out of date information, and staff are unable to access information quickly and easily.
During the initial Covid-19 outbreak in March 2020, CUH created a staff portal out of necessity, to enable staff working from home access to critical operational information and policies. This has led to a situation where we are running two separate intranets, which adds complexity and confusion for staff.
A new, fit-for-purpose intranet is required that is robust, secure, easy to use and maintain. It also needs to provide tools to help keep content consistent and up to date. The intranet needs to be fully accessible on mobile devices in order to support the Trust’s methods of working. The intranet needs to allow secure access for staff.
Problem to be solved
Redevelop our intranet to improve the experience and access to information for staff, improve performance on multiple devices, and comply with EU accessibility standards.
Departments find it difficult to update their sections, particularly adding media; and the site is difficult to maintain and navigate. Users cannot find information or access the information they require.
The more fundamental challenges are of having an intranet that meets the current and future requirements of the organisation.
Must have functionality:
• Content templates (news/bulletin/video/information)
• Comment/react/rate news
• Forms (feed into database or email)
• Embed images and video
• Single sign on using active directory
• Mobile, tablet friendly
• Intuitive search, results show location of page
• Swap Shop functionality - list 'sale'/wanted items
• Link to document storage library, identifies as 'Merlin' documents (PDFs only in exceptional circumstances)
• Works on all browsers
• Meets accessibility standards
• Events calendar
• Employee directory
• Page publication and review dates, plus knowledge of content owners
• User/editor categories for updating pages/sections
Nice to have:
• Users add news (moderated)
• Personalisation (live directory profile) - or choose 'favourites'
• Live chat
• Social and collaborative elements
• Corporate image library.
Who the users are and what they need to do
As a member of staff I need to be able to see up to date information on what is happening across the Trust, access departmental information and other items as required.
Departments need a way to communicate information to the wider staff base to ensure all have up to date knowledge.
As a user I expect a visually appealing, easy to use intranet where all the current information I need can be found quickly, whether using a desktop PC or mobile device.
The intranet will need to link to other systems such as the document storage library (Merlin).
Early market engagement
The Trust already has experience of Wagtail for its external website and would like to use the same CMS for the intranet, making use efficiencies this will bring.
Any work that’s already been done
CUH has an existing intranet and staff portal that contain much of the information that will be used in the future intranet.
CUH’s communications team has carried out some internal workshops with staff to understand the issues they have with the current sites and the wants/needs for any new intranet.
There are some key themes emerging which would be investigated further as part of the project:
• Simple, logical navigation with improved search
• Better structure
• Easier to use CMS
• Up-to-date relevant content, easy to find
• Accessible within the network, plus when working remotely
The intranet is managed by a small in-house internal and digital communications team. The supplier will be working with this team to complete the project.
Address where the work will take place
Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust,
Mainly off-site, with visits to our offices as required by the project.
All information supplied by CUH in connection with this procurement exercise shall be regarded as confidential. By submitting a Tender the Tenderer agrees to be bound by the obligation to preserve the confidentiality of all such information.
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate suppliers’ technical competence.
Essential skills and experience
- Experience of delivering intranet projects (discovery, design, build, content migration, hosting, maintenance, support) for NHS organisations of a similar size and complexity to CUH
- Proven track record of building and supporting intranet sites using Wagtail CMS
- Experience of working with large NHS organisations and knowledge of the health technology environment
- Ability to mobilise a project quickly
- Knowledge and experience of designing fully accessible intranet sites and which support digital inclusion
- Experience of migrating historic intranets
- Experience of delivering innovative intranet projects that have transformed the online experience for users, balancing function with creativity and modern design
- Expert in configuring and implementing effective intranet search tools
- Expert in setting up an intranet for continued improvement using analytics to deliver actionable insights
- Provide an account manager as a point of contact
- Demonstrable examples of long-term (3+ years) relationships with satisfied clients
- Ability to present research findings and insights to a non-technical audience, including senior managers
- Ability to deliver high quality but low technical maintenance intranets
- Experience of delivering reusable templates that can be re-purposed and used on specific areas of an intranet
- Evidence of successful integrations of intranets with other applications
- Be able to deliver effective training for intranet editors including train the trainer sessions
- Evidence of hosting, supporting and maintaining intranets, including offering a fully replicated development environment for testing upgrades and configuration changes
- Recent and demonstrable experience of implementing a public-sector / corporate intranet that complies with the principles of the GDS Service Standard and NHS Digital Service Manual
- Knowledge of NHS identity guidelines and evolving technical standards from NHS Digital and experience of implementing these in web projects
Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Experience of implementing third party accessibility and website governance software
- Experience of using video, images and other media to enhance intranets
How suppliers will be evaluated
All suppliers will be asked to provide a written proposal.
How many suppliers to evaluate
- Previous experience of similar NHS projects
- Previous Wagtail CMS experience
- Technical solution and how this meets our functional requirements
- Project management approach/methodology, including management of risks
- Proposed timescales and indicative project plan
- Training, hosting, support and maintenance arrangements
- Provide breakdown of year one costs covering discovery, design, build, implementation and hosting in year one
- Provide costs for hosting, maintenance and support in year two
- Provide blended agency day rate
Cultural fit criteria
- Work collaboratively with the organisation and individuals leading on the intranet redevelopment project
- Champion equality, diversity and digital inclusion
- Able to work with individuals with limited technical expertise
Capped time and materials
Additional assessment methods
- Case study
- Work history