SQL Database Specialist for Analytical Platform
9 Incomplete applications
8 SME, 1 large
10 Completed applications
9 SME, 1 large
- Monday 24 June 2019
- Deadline for asking questions
- Wednesday 26 June 2019 at 11:59pm GMT
- Closing date for applications
- Monday 1 July 2019 at 11:59pm GMT
- Specialist role
- Summary of the work
- Opportunity to use your SQL database expertise and knowledge on a cloud based analytical platform.
- Latest start date
- Thursday 1 August 2019
- Expected contract length
- up to 18 months, we anticipate around worth 340 days of work
- Organisation the work is for
- Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Maximum day rate
- £500 per day
About the work
- Early market engagement
- Who the specialist will work with
- The team is embedded with the Analytical community and serves other external departments, but all users are Analysts (Statisticians, Economists, Operational Researchers and Social Researchers).
- What the specialist will work on
1. Using best techniques and technology to load and extract data into cloud-based virtualised MS SQL Server to and from different data sources.
2. Monitoring MS SQL servers so that they are running in the most efficient state.
3. Support others to develop their own SQL capabilities, including T-SQL and maintenance.
4. Ensure data stored in SQL server is held securely and stored efficiently.
5. Develop technology paths so other databases and software packages to access SQL Server
6. Advising users on how to get the best out of SQL
- Address where the work will take place
- Westminster, London
- Working arrangements
On-site 5 days a week.
meetings with users and teams in London offices
- Security clearance
- Willing to undergo Security Clearance (SC).
- Additional terms and conditions
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate suppliers’ technical competence.
- Essential skills and experience
- Previous experience of database administration of MS SQL 2016 or later - 5 points
- Previous experience of using SQL Server Integration Services - 5 points
- Previous experience of at least one scripting language, such as VB Script, Python, PHP or a similar language - 5 points
- Previous experience of working with working data at "OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE" level - 5 points
- Previous experience of working with Energy Data - 5 points
- Previous experience of working on a Cloud Environment - 5 points
- Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Previous experience of using R - 3 points
- Previous experience of working PostgresSQL or another open source SQL database - 3 points
- Previous experience of Linux OS, such Ubuntu 16 (or later) or anything similar - 3 points
- Previous experience of designing web pages - 3 points
- Previous experience of MS Excel and MS Access 2010 or later - 3 points
- Previous experience of designing databases - 3 points
How suppliers will be evaluated
- How many specialists to evaluate
- Cultural fit criteria
- Able to work in a small multi-skilled team - 3 points
- Willing to help develop other colleagues' capability - 3 points
- Always be willing to help users - 3 points
- Willing to working within the existing toolset - 3 points
- Able to communicate complex solutions in a simple manner for non-technical users - 3 points
- Assessment methods
- Work history
- Evaluation weighting
Questions asked by suppliers
- 1. Is there a current incumbent?
- 2. What is the IR35 status
- Outside IR35
- 3. What is the chance that the incumbent gets replaced /retained?
- Every supplier will be given equal consideration
- 4. Can you please clarify what you mean by "Energy Data"
- Energy includes things such as Oil, Gas, Electricity & Renewable.