Thursday 6 December 2018
Deadline for asking questions
Thursday 13 December 2018 at 11:59pm GMT
Closing date for applications
Thursday 20 December 2018 at 11:59pm GMT
Summary of the work
To deliver GDS compliant complex system and data integrated end-to-end MS Dynamics 365 digital services and a single data view for academies and free schools management.
To include data modelling and design; D365 consolidation; digital self-service for external users; decommissioning services and data transition from legacy to new services.
Latest start date
Wednesday 30 January 2019
Expected contract length
No specific location, eg they can work remotely
Organisation the work is for
Department for Education / Education and Skills Funding Agency
We expect bids up to £350,000 for until 31 March 2019 with the expectation to 'front load' in this period.
We expect bids in the range of £1.1 million for 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020.
We expect bids in the range of £900,000 for 1 April 2020 to end of contract / January 2021.
We have budget approval until 31 March 2019. We expect to have our budget after 31 March 2019 confirmed in January 2019.
About the work
Why the work is being done
DfE and ESFA directly manage a growing number of academies and free schools. Our ultimate goal is that every child in England has access to a good or outstanding school.
We need an integrated system in ESFA and DfE to manage this work. This will replace 3 existing systems and bring together information held on 10 other systems, covering at least 50 business processes, to deliver a single version of truth of information to c1,500 internal users. It will also enable us to deliver digital self-service to end users in schools.
MS Dynamics 365 will be our core system.
Problem to be solved
Following Alpha, solve data proliferation and disconnected system problems and meet user needs. Deliver accessible and sustainable DfE/GDS compliant integrated data-driven services to improve management of academies and free schools. To use D365, Azure data factory and PowerBI. Enabling:
- user efficiency and effectiveness
- automation and digitisation of processes
- strong reporting and analytics
- 'configure first' D365 CRM
- data and service transition from outgoing systems
- decommissioning services
- integration to solution components
MVP single truth of academies by late Spring.
Iterative private to public beta delivery of integration and new services.
BAU maintainance and handover thereafter.
Who the users are and what they need to do
As DfE staff I need to analyse accurate 'one version of the truth' data and information so that I can effectively manage academies and free schools.
As Minister responsible for academies, I need to receive and understand accurate data so that I can make transparent, effective decisions and manage risk.
As someone looking to open a free school or academy, I need to be able to submit and manage my application securely and track its progress.
As DfE regional team lead I need real time information about the progress of projects in my region so I can manage effectively.
Early market engagement
We are holding an hour supplier and market warm-up engagement call via Skype conference call on Monday 10 December at 3pm. This will provide further information about the opportunity and allow time to answer initial supplier questions.
Please join us using the details below:
02033215238 (Dial-in Number)
Conference ID: 1246150
When you join the call, please do not announce your company name. Similarly do not announce your company name during the Q&A.
Any questions answered will appear in the clarification section. If we cannot answer a question we will respond using the written Q&A functionality.
We worked previously with Sopra Steria and Deloitte during the Discovery and Alpha stages.
Any work that’s already been done
GDS compliant Discovery and Alpha with a suite of personas, user needs, prioritised user stories, process maps, user journeys, high level solution design, analysis of data held on existing systems and a range of prototypes including coded Heroku prototypes.
Lessons learnt on D365 and portals.
Prototypes of user interface for 3 services. In Beta we'll need to prototype the other services.
Passed Alpha assessment for internal services. Alpha GDS assessment for external services expected in January 2019.
GDS monitoring of project and approval of Beta approach.
A further detailed information pack will be provided to shortlisted suppliers.
Product Owners, existing system Service Owners, Senior Responsible Owner, Programme Delivery Manager, Associate user researcher, Associate performance analyst, Enterprise Architect, Communications Manager, Data Analyst - all DfE internal staff.
The successful Microsoft certified supplier will complete the team and fill in our gaps. For example, we do not currently have the capability for key senior user research, UX, D365 CRM functional consultant, Azure, solution architect, data architect, delivery manager and developer roles. The supplier will be required to be able to supply any of the multi-disciplinary roles the project needs to deliver and meet GDS standards.
Address where the work will take place
Supplier's own location or DfE, Cheylesmore House, Coventry.
There will be the need to join meetings and user research in DfE offices including in London, Sheffield and Manchester as well as meeting external users in the field at their locations.
We see the development of an effective inter-organisation and multi-site team as crucial to success. We would expect that onboarding and key ceremonies including sprint planning would need to be done face to face. Technology will need to be used optimally including Skype for daily stand-ups and Jira for collaborative backlog management.
Project must be delivered to ‘Agile’ delivery approach, including stand-ups, ceremonies as per GDS service standards.
Collaborate with the exisiting team to create a strong inter-organisational team.
Collaborative tools (eg Jira) enabling cross-site working.
Written status reports
We will divide up work as statements of work with specific outcomes.
As we have so many internal users, project communications need to be effective. The project needs to be transparent and hold great and engaging show and tells.
Formal delivery management with dependency and risk logs.
Meet DfE programme, architectural, technical and security principles, standards and governance.
Travel expenses won't be reimbursed.
Security clearance is required.
DfE requires all supplier staff to have baseline personnel security standard clearance (BPSS).
To note there will be handling of school level and aggregate level data which is official sensitive.
The supplier will need to be compliant with the DfE's Departmental Security Standards.
Additional terms and conditions
We shall have the right to terminate the Contract at any time, by giving 28 days written notice to the Supplier, and DfE's liability thereto shall be limited to costs reasonably incurred by the Supplier up until the termination date only. Suppliers must confirm acceptance of this term.
All IPRs (as defined) in the Project-Specific IPRs and the Deliverables shall vest in the Buyer unconditionally and immediately upon their creation.
Budget approval for beyond 31 March 2019 due to be cleared in January 2019.
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate suppliers’ technical competence.
Essential skills and experience
- Implementing sustainable data/technical architecture design for end-to-end digital services using modern standard industry patterns and practices, aligned with GDS technology code of practice, security and accessibility standards and GDPR
- Be proven at delivering similar services to our needs to pass GDS service standards and assessments
- Demonstrable experience of end to end Microsoft Dynamics 365 delivery
- Experience of integrated Azure development and delivery
- Systems and data integration and transformation within a complex government organisation like Department for Education
- Demonstrable experience of transfer of data and processes and decommissioning services
- Experience of rapid and iterative user research and user experience activities including developing and iterating prototypes to ensure services meet user needs, including those with accessibility and assisted digital needs
- Working in an inter-organisational multi-site Agile team with team members in a host organisation
- Be a Microsoft certified partner
Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Demonstrate coaching, mentoring and upskilling people in agile techniques and roles to build capability within existing teams
- Communicate progress effectively to engage a wide set of users across government audiences including senior level stakeholders in Show and Tells and key meetings
How suppliers will be evaluated
How many suppliers to evaluate
- Delivering GDS compliant user research, user experience, accessibility, assisted digital and service design capability during an Agile iterative development
- Dynamics 365 CRM implementation with 'configure first' methodology
- Estimated timeframe for the work – demonstrate how work will be organised and how the approach will achieve value for money
- Microsoft Azure implementation, PaaS first
- Connected external user services (eg web portal) to Dynamics 365 CRM
- Identifying and managing risks and dependencies
- Setting up and delivering analytics and reporting across services using Power BI as an interface
- Integrating systems in a secure and efficient way using appropriate architectural patterns and technology to ensure systems are loosely coupled and performant
- Data modelling design and implementation
- Suggested team structure, team members who would be assigned to the project and their experience
- Experience of building non-functional requirements (constraints stories) into a digital service e.g. reliability, interoperability, scalability and availability
Cultural fit criteria
- Work as an inter-organisational multi-site team with host organisation
- Demonstrate your user centred approach to understanding the users and the organisation and how this digital work will support organisational success
- Share knowledge and experience with the host team to build capability
- Demonstrate how you will work transparently and collaboratively with the DfE architecture and data teams to deliver our architecture and design standards
- Deliver value for money for the project overall including cost of maintaining and future developing the service
- Explain how the supplier will onboard people during delivery to ensure little delay to team velocity both before and after they join the team.
Capped time and materials
- Written proposal
- Work history