WP1546: Senior Java Developer
10 Incomplete applications
9 SME, 1 large
12 Completed applications
9 SME, 3 large
- Thursday 11 January 2018
- Deadline for asking questions
- Monday 15 January 2018 at 11:59pm GMT
- Closing date for applications
- Thursday 18 January 2018 at 11:59pm GMT
- Specialist role
- Summary of the work
- Senior Java Developer to work on PCI DSS accredited GOV.UK Pay payments platform to help with the outstanding backlog of work to scale the recently launched platform to onboard new services and to further develop its product offering.
- Latest start date
- Monday 12 February 2018
- Expected contract length
- 3 months
- Organisation the work is for
- Government Digital Service, part of Cabinet Office
- Maximum day rate
About the work
- Early market engagement
- Who the specialist will work with
- A multi-disciplinary agile team, mainly back end developers, WebOps engineers, technical architect, tech lead, user researchers, product managers, delivery managers, tech author.
- What the specialist will work on
- Working with our already established development team to further develop our PCI DSS accredited payments platform, to tackle our outstanding backlog of work to scale our current platform to onboard more government services and expand our product offering to both citizen users and backend staff. The role will also include supporting our existing platform and may require some out of hours support work.
- Address where the work will take place
- Government Digital Service, The White Chapel Building, 10 Whitechapel High Street, London, E1 8QS
- Working arrangements
Monday to Friday
7.5 hours per day + lunch time
Must start work by 09:45 and not finish before 16:00
Mainly based from our office in Aldgate, with opportunities to work from home.
OnCall support out of hours on rotation approx every 6 weeks. This role is outside of IR35.
- Security clearance
- It is preferred that the candidate already has SC clearance, however if this is not currently held, they must be willing to undertake the SC clearance process at the supplier's expense.
- Additional terms and conditions
All expenses must be pre-agreed with between the parties and must comply with the Cabinet Office (CO) Travel and Subsistence (T&S) Policy.
All vendors are obliged to provide sufficient guarantees to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures so that the processing meets the requirements of GDPR and ensures the protection of the rights of data subjects. For further information please see the Information Commissioner's Office website:https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/data-protection-reform/overview-of-the-gdpr/.
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate suppliers’ technical competence.
- Essential skills and experience
- 2 years experience of working in a strong agile and self organising team using agile practices such as Scrum and Kanban.
- 2 years experience of working in a PCI DSS accredited development environment.
- 1 year + experience of working on WorldPay and SmartPay integrations.
- Experience of designing and leading implementation of ad hoc payments and sending invoices on a multi-tenanted payment platform.
- Exceptional Java expertise.
- Experience training and mentoring developers in Java.
- 2 years experience developing a payment platform for scalability and stability.
- 2 years experience of working in cloud based infrastructure using AWS.
- 2 years experience of developing scalable restful APIs.
- 2 years experience of working in a continuous delivery pipeline.
- 2 years experience of supporting a 24/7 service.
- Experience using the following technologies: AWS, Heroku, Java8, Postgress, Docker, Cucumber.
- Ability to present and communicate technical solutions to a non technical audience and potential customers.
- Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Experience supporting a 24/7 service and providing out of hours support.
- Experience working in government.
How suppliers will be evaluated
- How many specialists to evaluate
- Cultural fit criteria
- Ability to work well in a collaborative multi-disciplinary agile team.
- Assessment methods
- Work history
- Evaluation weighting
Questions asked by suppliers
- 1. Our developer would require GDS to support the clearance process. Could you give an indication of the cost to us?
- It is approximately £65
- 2. Our developer would require GDS to support the clearance process. Could you give an indication of the cost to us?
- It is approximately £65
- 3. Regarding the SC clearance status, if the candidate does not hold active SC clearance and is willing to go through the process, can this be considered, if yes will you sponsor the security clearance
- We will sponsor SC clearance but the cost is charged to the supplier.
- 4. How is the 24/7 on-call element charged?
- £200 flat rate for on call for the week (or 1/2 day in lieu). If called out it is 1.2 times hourly rate.
- 5. Is this a role someone is currently working in? Or is this a brand new post?
- There has been an incumbent supplier working on the project. However, evaluators will consider compliant bids on the basis that awards to the most economically advantageous response that satisfies all the criteria including cultural fit considerations, hence only the only best deemed response as determined by the evaluation panel will be offered the opportunity to contract.
- 6. Can any other security clearance be considered?
- SC clearance is preferred. Any clearance higher than SC is also acceptable.
- 7. Will this role be within IR35?
- This role is outside of IR35
- 8. Any chances of change in start date as the latest date mentioned is Monday 12 February 2018
- No, we need to keep to this date.
- 9. What are the other expenses which will be paid
- Travel expenses will be paid if travel is required outside of M25 area. Travel expenses should be pre-agreed and comply with the Cabinet Office Travel and Subsistence Policy.
- 10. What are the exact work locations
- GDS, White Chapel Building, Whitechapel High Street, London, E1
- 11. Is occasional remote working allowed?
- Occasional remote working is allowed subject to prior approval
- 12. Is there any travel involved in this role and will the travel expenses be paid
- Occasional travel may be required. Travel expenses will be paid if travelling outside of the M25. These must be pre-agreed and comply with the CO Travel and Subsistence Policy.
- 13. Is the rate inclusive or exclusive of VAT?
- 14. Would you consider work permit holders (e.g. Tier 2 General Visa) and EU passport holders for this role ?
- We do not sponsor Tier 2 General visa. EU passport holders can apply.