Borders Java Developer (BJD002)
16 Incomplete applications
16 SME, 0 large
15 Completed applications
14 SME, 1 large
- Friday 19 May 2017
- Deadline for asking questions
- Friday 26 May 2017 at 11:59pm GMT
- Closing date for applications
- Friday 2 June 2017 at 11:59pm GMT
- Specialist role
- Summary of the work
- Contribute to the development of the Borders AFTC service working in an Agile delivery environment. The role works on a data ingestion/management project, involving writing code to transform and manipulate data across formats, into storage with potential impact on the HBASE big data platform, providing data to consumers via micro-services.
- Latest start date
- Sunday 30 July 2017
- Expected contract length
- Up to 24 months or completion of the services.
- South East England
- Organisation the work is for
- Home Office Borders Technology Portfolio
- Maximum day rate
- Maximum day rate of up to £650.
About the work
- Early market engagement
- Who the specialist will work with
- Key stakeholders within Border Force, Home Office Digital Data and Technology, Home Office and Security Services. The programmes are resourced by a range of specialist resources including Home Office Civil Servants and other government Civil Servants.
- What the specialist will work on
- The developer will need to be an SME in: Java 8, Spring / Spring Boot and spring data rest, REST, TDD, BDD (specifically Cucumber), Apache Camel, Microservices architecture, GitHub / GitLab, use of branching and merging strategies, Clean code.
- Address where the work will take place
- The Specialist is predominantly based at Home Office premises at Lunar House, Croydon, CR9 2BY, but may be required to attend Marsham Street, London, SW1; and MetroPoint , Croydon; Surrey; or other locations as necessary.
- Working arrangements
This role requires being physically on site Monday – Friday. Approximate hours are 09:00 – 18:00.
Specialists will work primarily on-site with teams as required and report to management on site. Specialists are expected to work across the multiple sites as required. Expenses will conform to HO internal policies and will not be payable to Westminster, Croydon, or Heathrow.
- Security clearance
- Security clearance of Security Check (SC) is required.
- Additional terms and conditions
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate suppliers’ technical competence.
- Essential skills and experience
- Java 8
- Spring / Spring Boot and spring data rest
- BDD (specifically Cucumber)
- Apache Camel
- Microservices architecture
- Fluent in English and good communication skills
- Experience working within a Scrum team and familiarity with CI development techniques and environments
- Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Enterprise Integration Patterns
- Angular JS, HTML5 and CSS3
- GitHub / GitLab, use of branching and merging strategies
- Clean code
How suppliers will be evaluated
- How many specialists to evaluate
- Cultural fit criteria
- Work well in a team within our organisation.
- Mentor members of the team.
- Transparent and collaborative when making decisions.
- Have a flexible attitude and temperament.
- Have a no-blame culture and encourage people to learn from their mistakes.
- Assessment methods
- Work history
- Evaluation weighting
Questions asked by suppliers
- 1. Is the engagement inside or outside the scope of IR35? Could you please confirm if this role has been assessed as falling within or without of IR35 legislation or subject to 'off pay-roll working'?
- Following review this role is deemed to be outside the scope of IR35 of the Intermediaries legislation. Availability to start is a key criteria within the process.
- 2. There are multiple roles here with slightly different role ID's. How many candidates are we allowed to submit? Is it one candidate per role, or one candidate across the similar roles?
- Each supplier is requested to provide one applicant submission and associated CV per role.
- 3. Please confirm the years of experience that you require your person to have?
- The Home Office will assess all areas including skills, presentation of knowledge and experience of varying years amongst all other areas within each candidate's overall application.
- 4. Can a candidate without SC Clearance apply? Will the Home Office sponsor the SC Clearance? The role states that SC will be required. Is it advisable for a candidate to have SC prior to applying or would the Home Office be willing to accept a suitable candidate without SC and then put them through the clearance process?
- The advert refers to Security Clearance being required. Candidates may be working towards obtaining this level of clearance, but candidates are required to have this in place by the latest start date. The Home Office may support the candidate with this process upon appointment, but this must be in place by employment commencement.
- 5. Can a candidate with DV clearance be considered for this role ?
- Candidates with DV Clearance will have already undergone Security Clearance level checks and will therefore be considered as part of this process.
- 6. What is the lead time for feedback once the application is submitted?
- The Home Office is aiming to conclude the evaluation stage of the process by the end of June.
- 7. Please can you confirm if T&S can be recovered? What are the other expenses which will be paid ? Is there any travel involved in this role and will the travel expenses be paid ? What are the other expenses which will be paid? Are expenses additional to the day rate?
- Specialists will work primarily on-site with teams as required and report to management on site. Specialists are expected to work across the multiple sites as required. Expenses will conform to HO internal policies and will not be payable to Westminster, Croydon, or Heathrow. Those Travel and Subsistence expenses that apply will be payable in addition to the day rate.
- 8. Is occasional remote working allowed?
- Specialists will work primarily on-site with teams as required and report to management on site. Only approved IT facilities and equipment may be used and off-site or home working may be required at times subject to line management review and agreement. Specialists are expected to work across the multiple sites as required.
- 9. What is the total number for positions open for this role?
- The advertisement details one position being open for this role. What is the total number for positions open for this role.
- 10. Will the day rate be excluding VAT or including VAT ?
- All day rates quoted will be exclusive of VAT.
- 11. Is there a current incumbent?
- The Home Office has both new and existing requirements for this type of role with both incumbent suppliers and new suppliers.
- 12. How many years of Java development experience should the candidate have ?
- At least 3 years experience is required.
- 13. How senior do you want the person to be?
- At least 3 years experience of Java development and technically experienced enough to be able to work without supervision.
- 14. What are the absolutely critical skills required?
As listed in the Job Specification
• Java 8
• Spring / Spring Boot and spring data rest
• BDD (specifically Cucumber)
• Apache Camel
• Microservices architecture