1. Who from your team will be scoring applications for this opportunity and what positions do they hold?
The Panel is yet to be finalised but they will be from the team who have been working on this project to date
2. Who was the existing supplier and how long they have been involved?
FutureGov Limited. Involved in Discovery and Alpha phases (October 2019 to May 2020) and in Private Beta (October 2020 to April 2021).
3. Can you please advise the timelines of this procurement (e.g. shortlisted companies notified, anticipated contract award)? Also, can you confirm if shortlisted suppliers will have the opportunity to present?
The indicative timetable is set out below but be aware this is subject to change. We are not looking at holding presentations for shortlisted suppliers.
Publish requirements on DOS 5 CCS Framework 24 September
Stage 1 Clarification period ends on 1 October
Stage 1 Bids received by 8 October
Stage 1 Moderation/Consensus completed by 15 October
Invite suppliers to 2nd Stage (Max 5) 15 October
Stage 2 clarification ends on 19 October
Stage 2 Bids received by 21 October
Stage 2 Moderation/Consensus completed by 28 October
Contract Award by 29 October
Contract Start 1 November
4. Can you please provide a list of technologies.
The proposed solution is a web-based application hosted on Google Cloud using the open-source solution CKAN (https://ckan.org) provided by the CKAN Association part of the Open Knowledge Foundation. It is widely used around the world by lots of different government bodies including being the backend system to data.gov.uk and York City council for example.
5. Question 3 continued
CKAN describes itself as a powerful data management system that makes data accessible – by providing tools to streamline publishing, sharing, finding and using data. (https://ckan.org/features/ )
CKAN has a large community and is actively developed and maintained.
CKAN is written in Python but has been designed to be extensible through the use of extensions.
CKAN database is Postgres and search is provided by Solr.
6. Error made in the last supplier question. It is a continuation of Q4 and not Q3. This is a further continuation to answer Q4
The beta Nap will be based initially on the default functionality provided out of the box by the CKAN system with the addition of 2 extensions.
The utilisation of an open extension called Harvester written by CKAN which allows the harvesting of dataset from compatible resources such as data.gov.uk this will allow automatic update of the catalogue.
A custom theme extension written by the team which will add the GDS design system to CKAN
The default functionality will allow: (See https://docs.ckan.org/en/2.9/user-guide.html for more detail.)
The management of datasets with the following features:
7. Q4 continued
CRUD of datasets
Categorisations(Groups), Tagging and filtering by both.
Standard DCAT metadata standard
Search across all metadata fields including simple and advanced searching
Unlimited custom fields if required.
Management of resources such as sample data. (Note the NAP with not host datasets but during the Alpha phase the addition of sample data would help with the visibility of the data with datasets.
Data visualisation tools.
8. question 4 continued
Management of publishers (CKAN calls them organizations)
CRUD of publishers
Listing of datasets by Publishers
Search of Publishers
Management of access for users (account management)
System Admin functionality
User Accounts (Username, Name, Email, Password) for each Publisher.
All activity of followed datasets for each user can be seen. The source code has been version-controlled and put on a private Github
9. 1) Please confirm who the previously supplier was.
2) Please confirm why they exited from the work.
FutureGov Limited. Involved in Discovery and Alpha phases (October 2019 to May 2020) and in Private Beta (October 2020 to April 2021). FutureGov left the project because at the end of Private Beta because work was only commissioned up until that point.
10. Is the previous supplier who has exited the work still allowed to bid for this new opportunity?
Can you say anything more about the circumstances of their exit which might impact delivery of this new requirement, e.g. was it due to underperformance?
Yes, the previous supplier is allowed to bid for this opportunity. See answer to previous question
11. Can you advise what you’re looking for with the question “Experience of delivering “data” based digital services”
Examples where the supplier has delivered data services such as data catalogues, data warehouses, dashboards, data hubs, discoveries, etc...
12. We would like to ask some questions about the National Access Point Beta & Support opportunity.
• What is the relationship between the Find Transport Data Service and data.gov.uk?
• Is the previous supplier eligible for this phase of work?
• Did the previous supplier exit the work as the previous phase of work had concluded or for other reasons?""
"Find Transport Data is wider than just government data, but does not host the data, unlike data.gov.uk - so Find Transport Data may well link to datasets on data.gov.uk, but the scope is wider.
Yes they are eligible and they left as previous work had concluded.
13. We would like to ask another question about the National Access Point Beta & Support opportunity please.
• Where you have asked for “Experience of delivering a service across different government organisations, for example both a central department and local authorities” – are you asking for experience of one service delivered to central government and local authorities at the same time (for example, as one project) or experience of delivering the same service to different organisations (for example a service delivered to a central government department and, separately, the same service delivered to a local authority)?
Either is acceptable, but the former is likely to be looked upon more favourably.
14. Can you tell us about the technology landscape & the role of main components being used for the project?
See response to question 4 and the trail of answers related to this