Wednesday 30 June 2021
Deadline for asking questions
Wednesday 7 July 2021 at 11:59pm GMT
Closing date for applications
Wednesday 14 July 2021 at 11:59pm GMT
Off-payroll (IR35) determination
Contracted out service: the off-payroll rules do not apply
Summary of the work
Reporting and Dashboarding Code Delivery
Incident and problem management
Tenant Support, including User Management
Event Management/HPI Management – Provide support when required
Change Management – Evaluate change within SLA’s
Code Change to support evergreening
Latest start date
Monday 20 September 2021
Expected contract length
North West England
Organisation the work is for
HM Revenue & Customs
Up to £16,000,000.00
About the work
Why the work is being done
Data Platform Services (DPS) provides enterprise-wide platform engineering capabilities that enable the acquisition, administration (management) and application (exploitation and consumption) of enterprise data.
DPS provides the core platform capabilities and building blocks needed by:
• CDIO Chief Data Office to implement enterprise data management (governance, models & standards), implement / manage data sharing and provide advanced analytics exploitation services.
• CDIO Customer Groups to assemble, build and run line of business data services.
• Data consumers (standard and advanced) within the wider HMRC Business to access and exploit data, within a supported self-serve framework.
DPS will also provide the support offerings that enable HMRC to become a data-driven and insight-led organisation, drive data innovation and drive adoption of emerging technologies like AI and ML.
Problem to be solved
HMRC has a large and complex legacy Data Analytics estate which needs simplification, and consolidation and transformation to meet the challenges the department now faces.
HMRC design and build services to provide environments on which to provision, prepare and transform data and provide services to exploit that data across the organisation, and other government departments.
Who the users are and what they need to do
All HMRC customer groups (Customer Compliance, Customer Services, Customer Strategy and Tax Design, Corporate, VOA) need platform services they can consume for data on which they can build their specific line of business exploitation services.
HMRC Chief Data Office needs platform services which enable Data Management, Governance and Data sharing.
Other Government Departments rely on the Platform for receiving data for use within HMRC, and sharing HMRC data for their use.
Early market engagement
Any work that’s already been done
DPS has been working since 2018 on a new strategy for provision of Data and Analytics services based around a hybrid hosting model with a Logical Data Warehouse at its core. There is a significant amount of work remaining to continue delivery of that evolving platform roadmap.
The new platform products will have been delivered at handover, and the focus will be upon extending their use across the data analytics estate and wider enterprise.
Currently building services in the cloud and migrating the legacy estate.
Suppliers will be working with a number of HMRC teams including Data Platform Services. This will also include colleagues from within HMRC, including different suppliers and with project & programme teams.
Address where the work will take place
Primary Location will be agreed as per instruction in each SOW onboarded during the agreement.
The Primary Location assigned will be Salford or Southend on Sea. Full address details below.
Trinity Bridge House
2 Dearmans Place
21 Victoria Avenue
Southend on Sea
The supplier shall cover all Travel and Subsistence costs to the Primary Location.
Upon request by the Authority, supplier personnel shall expected to travel to other HMRC locations in the UK and the cost of this travel will be covered by HMRC's Travel and Subsistence Expenses policy.
The supplier will be required to co-locate with the existing platform teams, mixed teams comprising both internal staff and other contractors, up to 2 days per week.
Travel will be required to other HMRC Delivery Centres. No additional expenses chargeable to HMRC for travel or accommodation in agreed base office locations per SOW.
We expect the successful supplier to provide upskilling to permanent staff to increase internal capability.
Up to 24 hour support maybe required for some products and services. Some evening and weekend working maybe required for delivery teams. Example: weekend deployments.
All supplier personnel assigned to this work shall have BPSS clearance in place for contract commencement date.
All supplier personnel assigned to this work shall be eligible to apply for SC clearance. The supplier, with support from the Authority, shall apply for SC clearance on the contract commencement date.
Additional terms and conditions
HMRC Mandatory Terms
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate suppliers’ technical competence.
Essential skills and experience
- Experience working with and leveraging the benefits of AWS (Amaon Web Services) Cloud hosted services.
- Experience working with and leveraging the benefits of Microsoft Azure Cloud hosted services.
- Creating performant and resilient Reports and Dashboards capable of serving 1000’s of users.
- Supporting 24x7 Reporting and Dashboarding services.
- Experience Managing and Administering Reporting and Dashboarding platforms
- Test driven development with Business Intelligence services including use of Continuous Integration environments
- Automated and Performance testing of Reports and Dashboards.
- Designing and building solutions fully conformant with WCAG 2.0.
- Experience of customer facing issue and incident resolution.
- Producing and maintaining technical documentation and a Knowledgebase.
- Providing accurate and timely information to maintain a Configuration Management Database.
- Working safely within a UK based secure engineering environment at Security Clearance level.
- Experience with dynamic, drill down and static Reports and Dashboards
- Creation of Cubes and Universes to deliver performant and accurate reporting and dashboarding services
- Advanced SQL skills
- Experience working with a range of Reporting/Dashboard tools including, PowerBI and Pentaho Business Analytics to design, create, deploy and operate services with focus on re-use, consistency and performance.
Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Experience with Red Hat Linux 6 and later.
- Experience writing reports to run against relational databases containing 100’s TB’s of data and object / Hadoop storage containing PB’s of data.
- Experience using Data Virtualisation software, preferably Denodo.
- Experience with Business Objects Reporting and Dashboarding software.
- Experience/knowledge of working with Government Digital Strategy (GDS).
How suppliers will be evaluated
All suppliers will be asked to provide a written proposal.
How many suppliers to evaluate
- Accountability- successful delivery of project or outcome under time constraints whilst demonstrating value for money. Operating a service to agreed standards and implementing remedial action where outcomes are not met.
- Agility - delivering iteratively and incrementally within a context of evolving requirements following SCRUM and Kanban approaches
- Knowledge embedding - making knowledge capture and sharing part of day to day activities. Ensuring successful handover at any required stage of a project or a service.
- Delivering business value – making sure business requirements are understood, validated via positive challenge and delivered against while understanding the value being generated (i.e. business intent)
- Innovative thinking – think outside the set of existing organisational constraints to arrive the most appropriate and efficient route to deliver desired outcomes
- MVPs – effective definition and delivery of true MVPs that shorten time to delivering business value
- Reusability by design – ensuring solutions are formulated from reusable capabilities as well as ensuring new capabilities are reusable
- Simplicity by design – a clear focus on producing and positively challenging solutions to be as simple as possible
- Design for minimising build and run costs
- Responsive mobilisation – ability to resource work and start delivering in 4-5 weeks
- Enough capacity to ensure supplier can cope with DPS demand, in the specified locations
- Enough depth and breadth of capability across the supplier resource pool, in the specified locations
- Supplier teams are expected to use HMRC's collaboration software like Jira, Confluence and Teams
- Experience with Cloud development
- Microservices design and development
- Experience working in Agile framework and/or Scrum
Cultural fit criteria
- Demonstrate action to support health and wellbeing, including physical and mental health, in the contract workforce.
- Influence staff, suppliers, customers and communities through the delivery of the contract to support health and wellbeing, including physical and mental health.
- Inclusive and accessible recruitment practices and retention focussed activities including those provided in the Guide for line managers on recruiting, managing and developing people with a disability or health condition.
- Implementing the 6 standards in the Mental Health at Work commitment and, where appropriate, the mental health enhanced standards in Thriving at Work
- Public reporting by the tenderer and its supply chain on the health and wellbeing of staff comprising the contract workforce, following the recommendations in the Voluntary Reporting Framework.
- Engagement plans to engage the contract workforce in deciding the most important issues to address.
- Methods to measure staff engagement over time and adapt to any changes in the results.
- Methods to measure staff engagement over time and adapt to any changes in the results.
Additional assessment methods