Crime Programme Head of Development
12 Incomplete applications
12 SME, 0 large
14 Completed applications
13 SME, 1 large
- Monday 26 October 2020
- Deadline for asking questions
- Monday 2 November 2020 at 11:59pm GMT
- Closing date for applications
- Monday 9 November 2020 at 11:59pm GMT
- Specialist role
- Agile coach
- Summary of the work
- A Head of Development specialist is required to provide development leadership for the Crime Programme, in accordance with the GDS Agile methodology. This will include leading and being the Point of Contact for the Development Practice, providing guidance and standards across the programme.
- Latest start date
- Tuesday 1 December 2020
- Expected contract length
- 24 Months
- Organisation the work is for
- HM Courts and Tribunal Services (HMCTS)
- Maximum day rate
- The target rate card is £800-850 per day for the role.
About the work
- Early market engagement
- Who the specialist will work with
- Each development team comprises: a Product Owner, a Delivery Manager, a Technical Lead, a Business Analyst, a User Researcher, a UX/HTML Designer, one or more front end, back end or full stack developer and a QA specialist. Individual roles may change from time-to-time.
- What the specialist will work on
1.Development of efficient, proportionate and accessible digital services to enable access to justice via appropriate modern channels
2.Delivering a more efficient and improved service. For the first time, criminal case information will be kept together in one place.
- Address where the work will take place
- Primarily Southern House, Wellesley Grove Croydon CR9 1WW
- Working arrangements
The Service is being delivered against the GDS Service Manual. SoW/Work-Orders will be issued to define the development outcomes of each project phase and typically span 3-6 months.
The specialist will initially be required to work onsite at the base location working a (5) day week.
For works performed at a non-Base location and outside London (outside of the M25), all reasonable travel and expenses costs shall be met in accordance with the rates set out in the MOJ travel and subsistence policy.
All expenses will require prior approval from HMCTS
- Security clearance
- All supplier resources must Baseline Personnel Security Check (BPSS) clearance which must be dated within three months of the start date. See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/government-baseline-personnel-security-standard for further guidance.
- Additional terms and conditions
The initial Statement-of-Work(SOW) will be Time & Materials but the Buyer reserves the right in the contract to use alternative payment mechanisms such as Fixed-Price or Capped-T&M for future SOWs. Suppliers shall provide transparency to the Buyer on the rates paid to resources & any third-parties in the supply-chain on request. Expenses shall be submitted in line with the MOJ Standard T&S, policy and agreed in advance of expenditure.
Supplier shall provide Liability-Insurance & Professional-Indemnity as detailed in the contract
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate suppliers’ technical competence.
- Essential skills and experience
- Demonstrate your experience of building and leading development capabilities to support programme delivery in a multi-vendor landscape, within the last 5 years (4%)
- Demonstrate your experience of developing and owning Development process outputs, and presenting these through senior management meetings and governance boards (4%).
- Demonstrate experience of taking ownership and setting direction for delivery teams to comply with Development constraints and guidelines, within a wider programme (2%).
- Demonstrate experience of developing Software Development Standards documents within the last 5 years, specifically in an Agile, Java and Open Source delivery (2%).
- Demonstrate where you have led a large group of Developers to create a single integrated application within a large-scale Agile delivery (4%).
- Please provide two examples of where you have ensured Developers followed Software Development Standards (2%).
- Provide an example as to how you managed non-compliance to Software Development Standards (2%).
- Demonstrate experience of managing branching and merging with a single code base from multiple release trains to ensure regular releases via a single release/deployment pipeline (4%).
- Please provide an example of where you have led the re-engineering of previously built large, monolithic systems into simplified microservices (2%).
- Show where you have applied simplified microservices where they have been independently deployed and what challenges have been faced (2%).
- Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Demonstrate experience of implementations using Java, Microservices, CQRS, Event Sourcing and 3rd party interfaces/integrations within the last 5 years (3%).
- Demonstrate experience of developing the principles, standards, ways of working and standard operating procedures and roadmaps consistent with best practice, including using DDD (3%).
- Demonstrate experience of Open Source tools and technologies (i.e. Wildfly, Artemis) and working on a public cloud, in particular Azure (2%).
- Demonstrate two examples of leading large scale Agile development/delivery teams (3%).
- Demonstrate experience of working within a Software Delivery service in the Public sector (1%).
- Demonstrate experience of leading development teams through all the phases of the Development Lifecycle (2%).
- Demonstrate experience of working with Business Product Owners, Business Analysts, Business Architects, Full Stack Developers and Quality Assurance/Testing Leads (2%).
- Demonstrate experience in wider software development, e.g. CICD, DevOps (2%).
- Provide 2 examples that demonstrate your experience managing a complex stakeholder environment, including senior stakeholder management and ensuring proper governance (2%)
- Demonstrate how discounts will be linked to duration of the contract (2%).
How suppliers will be evaluated
All suppliers will be asked to provide a work history.
- How many specialists to evaluate
- Cultural fit criteria
- Describe how you have implemented or ran a practice of this nature with multi-vendor teams in a different organisation (5%).
- Explain how you will ensure collaboration at all levels of the project and programme delivery between users, team members, and management (3%).
- Explain how you would maintain a no-blame culture and encourage people to learn from their mistakes (3%).
- Explain how you will measure and ensure a high performing Development Practice, including accountability for delivery of outcomes (4%).
- Additional assessment methods
- Evaluation weighting
Questions asked by suppliers
- 1. Does this requirement fall inside or outside of IR35?
- CP currently assess this opportunity to be a Services contract and outside of the scope of IR35. We are not in a position to speculate on any future assessments of IR35 which may be undertaken by HMRC.
- 2. Is there a current Incumbent?
- Agilesphere LLP have had the supply contract for Head of Development to the Crime Programme since 2018.
- 3. Are current incumbent re-applying for the role?
- Due to the confidentiality nature of the procurement process we are unable to divulge the names of any current bidders.
- 4. The Specialist Role in the Overview says 'Agile Coach', please would you verify if this is correct?
- This is not true in the sense that this role is far more of a technically based one rather than the theory that would come with an Agile Coach. The successful applicant would need to have therefore the correct technical understanding of the programme code base and be able to flex between design and solutioning through to practical delivery while supporting the development community
- 5. Is there any scope at all for remote working during this contract?
- Due to the current Covid pandemic, there will be an element of remote working but the general position would be that it cannot be guaranteed and there is an expectation that the successful candidate should plan on being in Southern House 5 days a week.