Wednesday 30 September 2020
Deadline for asking questions
Wednesday 7 October 2020 at 11:59pm GMT
Closing date for applications
Wednesday 14 October 2020 at 11:59pm GMT
Summary of the work
Support to MOD and DE&S in delivery of configured Oracle HCM and PJRM through System & User Testing, Business and Service Change and 3 months post go-live support.
Latest start date
Monday 14 December 2020
Expected contract length
11 months with a 3 month Optional extension period
South West England
Organisation the work is for
Ministry of Defence
£5,280,319 (ex VAT)
About the work
Why the work is being done
MOD and DE&S have contracted with Insight/Oracle to implement SaaS HCM, IA, HR Help Desk, Oracle Learning Cloud Service, Project Resource Management (PjRM), Oracle Recruiting Cloud and Strategic Workforce Planning (SWP). Over the past 15 months the MOD and DE&S have worked with a delivery partner to configure the modules to MOD requirements, develop specifications and build interface capability to MOD and DE&S systems and plan service and business change. A new Delivery Partner Contract is required to support the implementation of SaaS in the MOD technical environment, migrate data from the PeopleSoft HR on premise system and legacy DE&S systems in scope for replacement, archive historic data, create training documentation, and assist in the education of the service organisation and users.
Problem to be solved
MOD and DE&S need a delivery partner to provide specialist knowledge and experience in the system integration and UAT of a configured SaaS system, with the exception of Intelligent Advisor which will require configuration; complete MOD and DE&S assurance and accreditation, and deliver Go Live, Business, and Service Change
Help develop and produce quality training materials to support the change of delivery in HR services, and change in user behaviour to embrace HR self-service.
Technical support to system integration testing of multiple interfaces built to interface with SaaS, and resolve issues that arise.
Use knowledge of MOD and DE&S accreditation and assurance support the project in gaining approval to test and approval to operate.
Support testing and the correction of defects identified.
Lead data migration, in accordance with the strategies developed.
Configure to MOD and DE&S requirements and test Oracle Intelligent Assistant, and transfer knowledge to DE&S and MOD staff.
Support the first three months of SaaS operation ensuring MOD and DE&S are competent to undertake the management and maintenance of SaaS post roll-off.
Required to gain a full understanding of the system configuration, interface specifications and change and service delivery direction as part of a handover from the incumbent.
Who the users are and what they need to do
Access is by MOD device only. ~56,000 users currently using a bespoke PeopleSoft HR system, including ~12,000 users in DE&S and ~ 7,000 military line managers will use SaaS to manage civilian staff. A small population of Assisted Digital (AD) users will have access to assisted services. SaaS HR will move employees and managers to self service. Service providers and HR business professionals will have increased accesst to built reports and information. All users to be trained and empowered to exploit the system for self service and reduce demand on service provider. AD users understand the system and service provided.
Service and Business Change Teams to receive knowledge transfer to run SaaS.
Early market engagement
Any work that’s already been done
SaaS has been configured to meet MOD and DE&S requirements. Specification documents have been written and interfaces built. Data Migration has been undertaken. Data cleansing has been initiated. Business and Service Change has been identified. A new Service Delivery Service and Technical Delivery Model have been designed. Process maps have been completed. Service and User training needs are in process of being identified.
The MOD FHRS-Civ project team is joint between, MOD and DE&S.
MOD team: 23 full-time civil servants across 3-locations: Project Director, Business Change, User Preparation and Comms Team, Service Team, Technical Team and Delivery Team. Supported by DBS and Defence-Digital.
DE&S team: 21 full-time and 5 part-time civil servants: Project Management, HR Team, Business Analysis , Change Team, and Technical Team.
A on-going contract is in place for Oracle to deliver the SaaS and PaaS, The Delivery Partner is responsible for the design/delivery of MyHR functionality and interfaces based on use of Oracle HCM and PaaS platforms under Authority oversight.
Address where the work will take place
MOD DBS and DE&S Technical and Service team leads, the PMO and DE&S Business Change and CIO Development are in Abbey Wood, separate sites.
• DBS, MOD Abbey Wood North, BS34 8QW and
• DE&S Abbey Wood South, BS34 8JH.
MOD Business Change, Product Owner and Project Director, based in London:
• 6-J MOD Main Building, Whitehall, London. SW1A 2HB.
MOD DBS application configuration and parts of the service and technical teams are in Manchester and DE&S in Bristol:
• DBS, Dairy Lane, Cheadle Hulme, SK8 7NU.
• DE&S Business Change Abbey Wood South, BS34 8JH
At the current time the team is working remotely with virtual meetings. Limited MOD devices are available and partners need to use own devices for collaborative working.
Normally it would be expected the Partner would work alongside MOD civil servants on site.
MOD: Partner should have a suitable presence in DBS Bristol and DBS Cheadle Hulme (2-4 days a week), London (1-2 days per week)
DE&S: Partner should have a presence in DE&S Bristol (3-4 days a week).
Travel between above defence establishments and the wider estate in line with project need.
All personnel utilised by Supplier must have Security Clearance in advance of starting contract, due to tight time constraints.
Additional terms and conditions
• Suppliers must use the Authority’s Purchase to Payment Tool called CP&F or be prepared to sign up to the tool.
• Use of MOD devices and Partners own devices required for collaborative working.
• Adherence to MOD and DE&S Policy and Procedures. Detail will be provided at the tender stage, for suppliers that pass the shortlisting stage.
• Further defence specific contractual conditions will apply, these will be confirmed later in the tendering process.
• Maximum classification for this requirement will be Official Sensitive.
• IR35 does not apply.
Skills and experience
Buyers will use the essential and nice-to-have skills and experience to help them evaluate suppliers’ technical competence.
Essential skills and experience
- Experience, within the last 4 years, of engineering Oracle based SaaS/PaaS solutions that align to the business requirements. (5pts)
- Experience of undertaking end to end testing of a SaaS/PaaS solution within a multi vendor delivery model. (5pts)
- Experience, within the last 4 years, of transitioning to live a SaaS/PaaS solution without impacting on the business. (5pts)
- Experience, within the last 4 years, of providing early life support post go live of SaaS/PaaS to system operators. (5pts)
- Experience in gaining security and compliance approval to operate cloud solutions within a Government Department. (5pts)
- Experience of delivering and testing of secure integrations within cloud/on-premise hybrid architectures to enable process hand-offs, the generation of business intelligence and archiving. (5pts)
- Experience of enabling services and transitioning users to a new solution whilst complying with DPA18/GDPR legislation. (8pts)
- Experience of taking a customer through service readiness to transition and operation of a new SaaS solution and service to circa 55,000 users. (8pts)
- Experience of taking over a system build, business change approach and service design from a previous partner, delivering smooth transition through SIT, UAT, business and user preparedness. (4pts)
- Experience, within the last 5 years, of assisting a customer in managing change and ongoing functionality design and delivery in a complex multi-stakeholder environment. (4pts)
- Experience, within the last 5 years, of how you identified, assessed and supported business configuration changes required to implement SaaS. (5pts)
- Experience identifying the associated business change impact (people, policy or service) required to implement SaaS. (5pts)
- Experience, within the last 5 years, of establishing a SaaS HR service, your strategy for development of support material and training for users, the business and service delivery. (5pts)
- Experience, within the last 5 years, of transferring knowledge to the customer and demonstrating the customer is competent to provide effective support without external assistance. (8pts)
- Experience, within the last 5 years, of gaining engagement and communicating with a large (circa 55,000) diverse and geographically dispersed work-force, where significant cultural and behavioural change was required. (4pts)
- Experience of successfully building, configuring, or extending Oracle Digital Assistant (ODA) to the customer's requirements. (4pts)
- Experience of learning from others and benchmarking to improve the delivery of the project outputs/outcomes. (4pts)
Nice-to-have skills and experience
- Experience, within the last 4 years, of resolving issues with the migration to a SaaS solution. (2pts)
- Experience, within the last 4 years, of engineering Oracle based SaaS/PaaS solutions using Fusion Applications Human Capital Management (HCM) that align to the business requirements. (3pts)
- Experience in gaining security and compliance approval to operate cloud solutions within a Defence environment. (2pts)
- Experience of supporting the customer through the Government Digital Service Assessments process. (2pts)
- Experience of deploying relevant skillset to address new challenges or issues as they materialise. (2pts)
How suppliers will be evaluated
All suppliers will be asked to provide a written proposal.
How many suppliers to evaluate
- The proposed team has demonstrable relevant experience and skills to deliver the full outcome. (10pts)
- The proposal demonstrates a clear and competent approach to engineering SaaS and PaaS solutions. (10pts)
- The proposal demonstrates a clear and competent approach to end to end solution testing. (10pts)
- The proposal demonstrates a clear and competent approach to Transition to live service covering technical, business, cultural and support aspects, whilst acknowledging challenges. (20pts)
- The proposal demonstrates a clear and competent approach for Early Life Support that meets the Authority’s goal to support the solution in-service using civil servants not contractors. (10pts)
- The proposal demonstrates how the Authority requirements for end to end security of the solution and compliance with DPA18 are embedded. (5pts)
- The proposal demonstrates a clear and competent approach to Hand-Over/Take-Over from the incumbent over a 3-4 week period. (5pts)
- The proposal demonstrates a clear and competent approach to interacting with multiple stakeholders from across the business. (5pts)
- The proposal demonstrates a clear and competent approach to managing configuration change and assessing the impacts on any business changes. (5pts)
- The proposal demonstrates a clear and competent approach to the provision of support and training materials. (5pts)
- The proposal provides clear and competent approach to communicating change across the large, diverse and geographically dispersed workforce. (5pts)
- The proposal describes a clear and competent approach to building/configuring or extending Oracle Digital Assistant. (5pts)
- The proposal demonstrates continuous learning to support delivery of improved outcomes. (5pts)
Cultural fit criteria
- Works as a team with organisations and stakeholders
- Informs, empowers and catalyses timely client decision making and management of risks/issues
- Transparent and honest with clients and forges strong relationships based on mutual respect
- Works collaboratively across multiple locations and organisations to achieve success
- Drives work forward, taking the initiative and catalysing progress
- Takes responsibility for delivery of their work
- Assures the quality of their work, benchmarking against best practice/other organisations and open to sharing those improvements to the benefit of the buyer
- Shares knowledge to upskill in-house teams
- Adds value proactively to strengthen project outputs, strategies and thinking
Capped time and materials
Additional assessment methods
- Case study
- Work history